|Medical Insurance for International Students|
The University of Calgary runs the Centre for International Student and Study Abroad (CISSA). CISSA provides international student with many very useful services and is located in the MacEwan Student Centre, Room 275. Visit their website for a list of their services.
The University publishes an International Student Handbook for newly admitted international students. It includes immigration information such as how to apply for your Study Permit, how to find accommodation and how to sign up for orientation and airport reception for new students.
Once you are in Calgary, there are important things to keep in mind as an international student:
- Renew your study permit at least three months before your current one expires. Information about renewing your study permit can be found here http://www.ucalgary.ca/registrar/study-permit
- If you plan to leave Canada and come back, make sure you have a valid visa (in case you need one). To renew your visa you will need to do it outside Canada. However, you can also mail your application to a Canadian consulate in the U.S. Renewing your visa by mail takes around four weeks. (So plan well ahead!) For more information see the international student centre's temporary visas information page.
- Also keep in mind that once you renew your study permit, you will need to renew your Social Insurance Card (SIN), Alberta Health Insurance Plan and your driver’s license.
- Apply for Medical Insurance
In some countries, you are covered for medical or dental treatment without any cost. You go to a doctor, dentist or hospital and you receive treatment at no cost. This is NOT the case in Canada.
1. Why do I need to apply for medical insurance?
All University of Calgary international students need to have adequate insurance to cover any medical care or accidents while they are in Canada. If students do not have an insurance plan, they are responsible for paying all costs for medical treatment. A visit to a doctor can cost $45-$50 or more, and a hospital stay can cost more than $1,000 per day. Students with no medical insurance have to pay the entire bill for these medical services.
- In Alberta, you apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) to cover these expenses. It is free.
- Apply in person at one of the following registry offices:
The Licensing Company (Calgary) Inc.
New Urban Registry Ltd.
Registries Plus Inc.
Registry at South Trail Crossing Ltd.
2. Why do I need extra medical insurance? I have already paid for the University's student health and dental plan.
The university's Student Health and Dental Plan does not cover doctor visits, lab costs, or hospital costs. It is a supplemental plan that helps you pay for situations not covered under Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan. For example, prescription drugs, dental work, and ambulance service.
Full-time academic students at the University of Calgary are automatically registered in the Supplemental Student Health and Dental plan through the Students' Union:
3. What are my options for medical insurance?
We do not recommend a particular plan or agent. We advise you to talk with 2 or 3 insurance agents and compare prices and services before making a decision on which plan to buy.
4. I have purchased a private health plan. How do I pay for my medical expenses?
When you have a private health plan you are expected to pay for medical costs yourself. It is your responsibility to submit receipts to your private insurance company in order to be reimbursed.
- If you purchase a private plan you may not require the University's Student Supplemental Plan, as it may duplicate the benefits offered through your private plan.
- You can opt out of the Student Health and/or Dental Plan if your private insurance has comparable coverage. You must notify the appropriate undergraduate or graduate Student Health Plan office prior to the deadline for opting out of the plan.
If you have any questions about medical insurance, talk with an International Student Advisor.
For full information, see the University of Calgary International Medical Insurance for International Students page.
**Costs may have changed since this information was gathered.**